Americans spend more than 40 billion dollars a year on dieting and diet-related products – that’s roughly equivalent to the amount the U.S. Federal Government spends on education each year (source)!That's pretty whack if you ask me. It's time we take a step back and start giving our body image a makeover. Turn the focus from the outside to within with these (free) tips:
1. Ask yourself these questions and then answer them:
- What part of my body is strongest?
- What kind of care does my body need right now? (Rest? Exercise? Sleep? Food?)
- How would I respond to my best friend if she started talking negatively about her body?
2. Enjoy the process rather than focusing on the result. For example, if you're training for a race, stop worrying about how fast you will go and enjoy the strength you have gained from all the hard work!
3. Remember that body negativity can occur at any size. No matter what the number is on the scale, it will never define you. You are what you make of this life, so stop the "fat talk" and start filling every moment with things you enjoy! For example, instead of sitting around wallowing in negative body thoughts, put on your favorite playlist, your most comfortable shoes, and go for a walk somewhere you think is beautiful!
4. Do things that make you feel empowered! Giving meaning to your actions will help you turn the focus toward something that matters and away from inner negativity. This will help you see yourself clearly and positively.
5. Show yourself compassion always.
Care to share any tips on how to maintain a positive body image? We'd love to hear from you!