One major reason why we neglect to take a break from our busy lives is because we're afraid to disrupt the momentum. On the contrary, my friend. Studies show that vacation time is vital, and whether that "vacation" is an hour, a day, a long weekend, or a week, time to rest is one of the most important things you can do for your mind, body, and yes productivity!
Here are my top 5 ways to decompress and show yourself some love. Give at least one a try and pay attention to your productivity levels the next day. I guarantee you'll feel energized and ready to take on whatever tasks may come your way!
1. Take a nap - YES! It's that easy. Get the room as dark as you can, put on the most relaxing music or background noise you can find, fluff your pillows, smooth your blankets, put on your most comfortable PJs, and take a nap. Even if you can't fall asleep, simply relaxing will help rejuvenate you!
2. Hang out with friends - Pencil in a little time to spend with your best friend. Whether it's over a glass (or two) of wine or a cup of your favorite coffee or herbal tea, spending time with you closest buds is a great way to let the stresses of the world roll of your shoulders.
3. Create a spa at home - Run a bubble bath, light some candles, and put on some spa-like music. Use your favorite face mask while you're in the tub, and splurge on some fancy lotion. After the bath, put on your robe, pour a cup of herbal tea and read something (for fun!!! not for work!).
4. Take a yoga class - Cancel plans that you're only half-way looking forward to and go to a yoga class. The fluid movements and 90 minutes of not having to talk to anyone while you stretch and strengthen your mind/body will leave you feeling refreshed.
5. No time for these things? Go for a walk. Even for just 10 minutes, a brisk walk can help clear your head when you need it most.
How do you decompress?
Be well, and enjoy the day.